[stylist] writing prompts, welcome, and facebook

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 21:25:51 UTC 2012

Firstly, I'd like to welcome Aine. I hope your exams go well, and that you have a fabulous summer as we in the US are preparing for old man Winter.

Eve, my gut reaction is to politely decline your request and wish you all the best in attempting to breathe some much needed life into this group. We've tried doing this through writing prompts a number of times, and at best we get maybe 5% participation. For those who spend hours writing a piece to share with the group, it's very disheartening  when nobody reads or responds . Although I'm a cynic, I'm also a bit of an optimist, so I'll agree to give it one more try. I'll come up with a writing prompt for the group for November, and we'll see how it goes. I'd love to read a dozen or more responses, and it would be fantastic if folks would give constructive feedback so we can all grow in our craft. The one caveat is that I live in Connecticut, about 20 miles from the coast, and we are expected to get slammed by hurricane Sandy tomorrow. Schools have already been cancelled through Wednesday, and it's likely we will lose power. So, if I don't post a prompt on November 1, I'll get to it as soon as the power is back on.

Lastly, if the group decides to move to facebook for interactions, that's great, but I won't be joining in. I have a facebook account, and use it to promote my writing and on occasion to share things with my friends, but my experience of facebook is that it's primarily a time sucker, and not very meaningful to me.

Until next time,

chris