[stylist] Salt Desert interlude

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Mon Apr 1 17:47:53 UTC 2013

Thanks to all of you who read and commented on my last poem.  Here's a haibon (I think I'm spelling it write) meant to be colorful and vivid.  You'll be the judge of whether or not I was successful.

Salt Desert Interlude

We traverse this place,
otherworldly, shunned by life
a great salt desert.

The land is awesome in strangeness.
Ruby mountains stand above the ecru plains,
beneath a sky of washed out blue ruled by a blazing sun.
This inhuman beauty demands description
in a science fiction tongue.

We stop a while to gather in the scene.
The silence is profound where insects fear to fly.
Beast fear to tread this terrible bone white ground
ringed by blood red mountains beneath the tyrant sun.
For here life has no place; we must move on.

Shawn Jacobson
Mathematical Statistician
Phone# (202)-475-8759
Fax# (202)-485-0275