[stylist] Rainbow response- lamenting sight

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 6 19:37:21 UTC 2013

Lynda,

I understand what you say. I like being able to control things, so it
sucks that I require assistant for shopping, decorating, initial
organizing, etc. Technology is making some of this easier, but for
those of us who once could see, it's just not as nice.

This doesn't mean we can't do things nonvisually or that it becomes
incredibly difficult. But I hate relying on others to determine color
and style and product. I will usually know exactly what I want, and will
describe it to the best of my abilities, but ultimately, I have to trust
the judgment of others.

And I don't think it's wrong to admit any of this. Like Lynda, I will
probably never bask in the glory of blindness, but this doesn't mean I'm
sitting at home depressed, thinking I can't do anything.

It's been 10 years for me, and I'm just now beginning to miss my sight
in ways I never did before. It started once Declan was born. I just want
to see my baby, his expressions, his movements. He crawled for the first
time last night, and I had to place my hand on his back to experience
it. This doesn't lessen exhilaration I feel, but it would still be nice
to actually see it. He smiles all the time, and somehow, I know when
he's smiling, but nonetheless, I want to freaking see it. If this makes
me a *bad person,* well... I don't think that's my problem to deal with.

Having said all this, I'm making my life what I want it to be. Nothing,
blindness included, is getting in my way. I was told I would never have
a biological child, and now I'm enjoying all the firsts with my baby
boy. I say F U to all those who push us down and stifle us no matter the
topic or reason.

We are allowed to feel what we feel and reach understanding in our own
time. We are certainly allowed to miss our vision. This isn't a
reflection on our attitude towards blindness itself. This seems to be
something so many blind people have a difficult time separating; the
lamenting of sight and the attitude one takes towards blindness. I can
be independent and positive and still miss the convenience of my vision.

Bridgit

Message: 5