[stylist] Poetry and interpretation

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon Apr 8 19:50:38 UTC 2013

Speaking of readers' interpretations vs the intent of the writer ... I think
writers, though we may have an intent that speaks to our own sensabilities
and motivates us to write, should allow liberally for readers to have
different interpretations. There are so many layers to life that it's
difficult to write even the simplest of things without covering several of
them. Additionally, we have, perhaps, a conscious intent for our work to
have an overriding message or meaning, but in the crafting, we often reveal
something of our own subconscious which may speak more clearly to some
readers than the meaning we had supposed the piece to carry. They used to
say in business that the customer is always right; in creative writing, the
reader is always right, whether the writer understands it or not.
Donna