[stylist] A new member- fan fiction

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 18:42:33 UTC 2013

Tessa,

First, all material is allowed on Stylist; just note if it contains
language, violence, sex or other taboo topics.

Second, I originally studied vocal performance at university, so I'm
very familiar with musical theatre. Rent and Wicked are two of my
favorite musicals as is the Lion King. Aida is another Elton John
production based on the Opera. The opera version came to Omaha back when
I was a teen, and I was hired as a dancer for the show. I have always
wanted to see the Broadway version though.

My favorite Disney animated films are Sleeping Beauty just because I'
obsessed with this fairytale, The Lion King, which is based on
Shakespeare's Hamlet, and Tangled, which is about Rapunzel, is my new
favorite. It's funny, compelling and a great mix of old and new. I do
like the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast too, but I must admit
that I've always found Pocahontas a little boring especially for a
Disney cartoon, though the music is pretty good. My three-year-old loves
all the Disney princesses, and I've recently grown very well acquainted
with them once again, smile. As a 30-something now, I don't like the
complete helplessness of Snow White, and I find Cinderella a little
boring and one-dimensional. For a pre-schooler though, they are pretty,
glittery princesses, smile. We in fact have some of the official Disney
princess dress-up clothes and live in them, grin.

Wicked is based on the book by Gregory Maguire, but the musical is very
loosely based on the book. Maguire developed a series that follows
various Oz characters. The final book just came out like a year or two
ago. The books are very different, but I enjoy them. The musical is a
very Disneyfied version of the book. I would not recommend the books for
young readers though. The Wizard of Oz is another story I've always been
obsessed with. Sleeping and Beauty and The Wizard of Oz are two stories
I keep coming back to in my writing including my nonfiction. As a child,
I was Dorothy several times, grin. And the film has always been one of
my favorites, and I sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow to my kids, which is
one of their favorite songs. My son touches my mouth when I sing, and
this song and When You Wish Upon a Star are two songs he seems to
recognize as he always responds when he hears either, smile.

Fan fiction is a developing genre. 50 Shades of Grey is perhaps the most
well known fan fiction at this point in time, though I doubt it's
literary value. It's based on Bella and Edward from the Twilight series.
I have not read it, but from what I understand, it's not well written,
though like Twilight, people can't get enough of it.

I read a novel based on Wuthering Heights that took place in the
Caribbean during the 1700's and involves characters that are mulatto; I
use the term from the novel, well aware that this is no longer the
correct description for people of black and Caucasian backgrounds, grin.
It was interesting, and delved much more into the psychological element
of characters than they did in the time of the original piece.

I think some think fan fiction is simply a continuation of an existing
story, but it's actually meant to act as inspiration. Fan fiction is
more about using a story and/or character as a template and seeing where
your own imagination takes you. I hate to reference it again, but 50
Shades of Grey is a perfect example, though having not read it, I must
base this off what I've heard from others, including the author. The
story doesn't appear to resemble Twilight, yet it's based on the two
main characters from Twilight nonetheless.

Fan fiction can be a continuation of a story, but it can also act as a
catalyst to draw new ideas and interpretations of existing stories. C.
S. Lewis's Til We Have Faces can be considered fan fiction, or the Lion
King. In all honesty, fan fiction is not a new genre, it's just a new
name for this style of writing. I myself have only recently started
learning about it.

Bridgit
Message: 11