[stylist] Visual scenes

tfurban22 at gmail.com tfurban22 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 16:52:57 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I hope all of you are doing well.  I have a problem, or question, however
you wish to look at it when it comes to writing visual scenes.  Scenes that
have (or, I want to have.) descriptive feel to them.

I'll give an example of something I'm struggling with now.  There's a
fanfiction story I'm looking to write based on a character from the musical
Wicked.

I haven't read the book this musical is based on, but a friend of mine has
so I know the musical is loosely based on the book and I know the
differences between it and the musical.  However, I'm getting off topic.

The scene that I'm looking to write is visual.  You see, my character, whose
name is Thackery, is attracted to a character named Nessarose or Nessa for
short.  I can kind of see the scene in my head, but not clearly.

She's giving a lecture, he's in the back as it is in a room of advisors.
He's an artist, so instead of paying attention to her speech, he's paying
attention to, "her."  He likes to draw; sketch what not.  I'm sorry I'm
being vague. I'm just not sure how to write him looking at her, avoiding eye
contact when hers meets his.. He trying (and failing.) to be secretive that
he's gazing at her and drawing her outline.  It's great in my head but I'm
finding the words to be very difficult.

Not just that, but how can you, or do you write landscape scenes that are
not boring?  How to write the colors in a sunset over a lake?  Or, the sun
over a meadow in the afternoon?  A raging thunderstorm?

These are just some of the many examples that I can think of at the moment.
There are a million of visual things that I just don't know how to describe.
I try to google things but it just gives me images.

Another example is looks.

Case in point: I'm looking to write another fanfiction based on the Disney
movie Pocahontas.  There's a character in it that is a woman from Turkey.
However, I haven't a clue what she should look like.  I mean, I know dark
hair and eyes, but that's really it.  What did they wear and more
importantly what did it look like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I realize I must sound like a new
writer lol but I did join this list to learn and improve.  It is scary for
me at least stepping out of my comfort zone.

Thanks so much!

Tessa