[stylist] Terms of blindness- what babies see

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 15 22:48:54 UTC 2013

That's why I didn't use the term newborn but rather baby. Children who
are born without any vision conditions will develop very clear vision
that's as near to perfect as a human can get. This comes from books I've
read as well as our pediatrician.

When a newborn, their visual field is very limited, but vision tends to
develop rapidly in babies.

Declan very quickly developed a broader field of vision when born. He
was tested for various things since he was in the NICU, and he actually
was advanced physically along with displaying advance hearing and seeing
abilities, and this was at only one month of age.

I marvel at what Declan can see now at seven-and-a-half-months-old. I
forget what one can see when sighted, and how far they can see. He
observes everything, taking in every visual he can. And he has amazing
vision in the dark, grin. It surprises me how well he can see in the
dark. It's like he has two blind parents, so to make up for it, he has
crystal clear vision, grin.

Bridgit
Message: 8