[stylist] congrats donna

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat Apr 20 23:30:10 UTC 2013

Hi Vejas,
Thanks for downloading my book and your interest in the process. It was very
important to me to make sure that it came out in some accessible format as
close to the date of publication as possible. I did not want other blind
people to have to purchase it.

I saw something on the Bookshare site directed to authors and talking about
how you could mail in your book or a CD of it. It also said there were other
options, so I wrote to ask if there was some way to e-mail it.

Bookshare got back to me (not immediately) very interested. I had sent them
some of the recommendation quotes I already had and told them of the
presentation I did at the U of Scranton's Education Department.

Bookshare wanted to get it out as close to the print edition as possible and
asked for an electronic version rather than waiting for the print. I thought
they might have wanted to wait for an e-version of the fully formatted print
files, but they said the formatting gets cast aside in their formatting
process anyway, so we didn't have to wait, and I could send them my
manuscript.

They have a contract that they like authors to sign. This isn't necessary,
since by law they have the right to make anything they want into an
accessible but not commercially available format. So, I signed the contract
and sent it back.

Then, I had to put the book into an RTF format and insert and center the
book cover (front only) at the top. It was a huge file because of inserting
the book cover, so in order to e-mail it to them, I had to put it in a
Zipped folder, and away it went.

I just heard yesterday that it was up. I downloaded it too, because I want
to double check that it's all there. I'm sure it is, but I am
double-checking everything. You'd be surprised what can go missing when you
start having some of these other formats made.

The book has been formatted for Kindle and other e-versions, and uploading
them is the next step. The print version is still in the design stage and
will probably be the last thing out.

I'm just so happy we got it on Bookshare ahead of everything else. I wonder
if that's ever happened before. Probably has; I can't possibly be the first
one to do it this way.
Donna