[stylist] Block quotes and writing styles

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 13:11:34 UTC 2013

I'm reading that book. Is it on bard?

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Lynda Lambert
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 8:31 AM
To: Writer's Division Mailing List
Subject: Re: [stylist] Block quotes and writing styles

Yes, Justin, the writing style is determined by the discipline.
Your discipline probably requires the style format you are using.

My disciplines are English, Art History,  and Humanities: they require  use
of MLA.

Other disciplines use different style formats.
The point is, to understand and use the format that is appropriate for the
discipline.

When submitting papers for publication (or for academic conference
presentations) the publisher lists the form requirement for that particular
book or periodical publication. In one of the books that published one of my
research presentations, the editor, Terry White of Kent State University,
required Chicago.  He was doing the entire book in Chicago. That is very
unusual, but I think it is because the book contained chapters from 18
different  scholars, all from  different disciplines. That book is:
"Blacks and Whites Meeting in America: 18 Essays on Race" by Terry White.

http://www.amazon.com/Blacks-Whites-Meeting-America-Eighteen/dp/078641541X/r
ef=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366633291&sr=1-1&keywords=Black+and+White+Mee
ting+in+America

This was the only time in my very long career that a style other than MLA
was used in my work.

Style and Form have to be used in tandem with what we are writing. That is
for certain. We only have one chance to make a "first impression" with our
work. The editor quickly scans the page, and in an instant knows if the
person is professional or hap hazard.
If we want our work to be read, and considered, then we have to have a GREAT
first impression.

Lynda