[stylist] After You Publish: Anyone Have Promo Advice?

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon Apr 29 17:45:14 UTC 2013

Bekah,
The website is very important, as is Twitter, which is even more important
than Facebook, since the feed is public and you can reach strangers and they
can follow you without risking the site's wrath.

What are your plans for marketing your novel to a niche group like Christian
middle and upper schools? Is there anything in the book that you could point
to as an area of experteese, such as a blind character? Or, is there some
other popular social justice or awareness raising issue such as
anti-bullying that you can use to market the book?

Do you have a  degree in literature or creative writing? Some writers
promote their books and make a little money by applying to give
presentations at writers' workshops.

Have you spoken to your local schools/libraries about doing a presentation
for them at which you could sell your book? Have you been collecting e-mail
addresses for people who review books and websites that feature book reviews
from indie authors? There are also contests nowadays for self-published
authors like the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. That one's free to enter,
but there are others that have fees.

Have you sifted through your connections, family and friends for anyone who
is either in a position to help you or who can approach someone on your
behalf?

What kinds of experiences have you had in terms of public speaking? Have you
done any internet radio shows?

One thing that I use as a source for finding media types who might be
interested in using me as a source for articles, book reviews, internet
radio, etc is a free service called HARO (Help a Reporter Out). They send
out e-mails normally 3 times a day on weekdays in which journalists post
queries about what they're looking for. "Sources" which are often publicists
answer the ones that look like a fit with their "pitches," and hope for the
best. As in sales in general, you need to get used to dealing with very long
odds. I hardly ever find anything that fits and most of the pitches I send
go unanswered. Nevertheless, I've lost count of the number of radio
appearances and guest blogs I've done, and I've had my material included in
at least 3 books that I can remember. I have also been quoted as a source in
some articles.

Maybe you're way ahead of me here, and if so, I hope this will help someone
else. The best tool we have, and this is true whether we are blind or
sighted, is Google and the internet. I'd advise anyone who is trying to
promote anything, whether it's a book or NFB issues, to get comfortable with
using the internet and ploughing through with all of the accessibility
issues. You'll find lots of resources, and you'll spend some time getting
nowhere, but that's sales.
Donna