[stylist] CNF challenge: Tunnel Vision

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat Feb 2 23:04:37 UTC 2013

Jackie,
Thank you. You hit on that little irony about progressive tunnel vision
meaning the tunnel gets smaller. Progressive sounds so positive. *grin* The
thing about RP and probably any tunnel vision, is that we tend to visualize
the visual field as a perfect circle -- getting smaller and smaller but
always being a perfect circle. That isn't how it works. You can lose a
little more on the top than on the bottom, or any other combination of
possibilities. You can have little bits of healthy rods and cones somewhere
on the periphery where light comes through better than in the central
vision. If I want to see a light source, I have to tip my head up and to the
left,, because there's a little area there that hasn't been destroyed yet.
When I used to read print, there was already central vision damage, and I
couldn't see even one whole word at a time once I got to high school. I
suppose it helped me memorize things better.

Don't feel bad about the old software. I only recently upgraded to Word
2010, and that was because my old computer finally gave up the ghost, and
there was no more fixing it, so I had to get a new one.
Donna