[stylist] Black History Month - a Poem

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Thu Feb 7 14:29:52 UTC 2013

Morning Jackie,

I am sharing some poets and a poem throughout the month of February as a way
of celebrating this special month. There is no assignment intended, but just
the joy of reading the work, and a few questions to help the readers begin
to think about or discover what is there in the poem. I am trying to choose
poems that are reflective of the poet's "voice."

Thanks for taking the time to send your reflections, the piece by Patty
Smith, and the poems. I really enjoyed reading this all today.

"We Real Cool"   is the poem Brooks is most famous for writing as it was
always published over the years in all the anthologies that included her. It
is the one I was going to post, too. But, on reflection, I decided to go
with a differnt sort of poem that would not be as familiar.

What you are working on is so humorous and it is so clear who you are
responding to. Yes, deciding to put "We" at the end of each line is
distinctly Brook's trademark piece. Does anyone know of any other poem that
does this? Off hand, I don't.

I just loved the piece by Patty Smith - I was right there with her in this
piece. But we were not in Chicago, we were in New York City, and it was not
poets, it was visual artists. This is how I experienced the introduction to
a new book that had just been released - it was at a book store in NYC - and
all around me, were the faces of so many of the visual artists I had always
loved.

I sat next to Howardena Pindell. Later we would become acquainted, and when
my book (Concerti: Psalms for the Pilgrimage)  came out it was Pindell who
wrote the back cover commentary on it.  It turns out we were born the same
year, and both experienced what it was like to have our father's taken away
to fight in Europe for the first couple years of our lives.

It was Pindell's art that I researched and did programs on throughout the
state of Pennsylvania for the Pennsylvania Humanities Council.  I spent a
couple years lecturing all over the US on African American Art and
Literature, at academic conferences.

And, when one of my research papers was published in the Book, "Blacks and
Whites Meeting in America"  by Terry White, it was Pindell's art that was in
color on the cover of the book. I shared the same kind of feelings as Smith
did, when in the center of a world populated by creative genius.

The quote that struck me this morning is this:

(Block Quote)

"The corner of her mouth twitched, then spread into one of those indulgent
smiles that knots you up a little inside. It's the smile a teacher gives you
before handing back a test paper with a grade lower than either of you
expected.

Without looking directly at me, Gwendolyn said, "Your problem should be
finding time for anything else." (End Block Quote)