[stylist] Quote to ponder

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 19:04:29 UTC 2013

Donna,

It's up to the individual to interpret what they believe this quote is,
though I would agree with your assessment.

Sedaris is not necessarily saying to not be precise and concise with
what you write, but rather, he's noting how people not only will
interpret material based on their individual experiences and knowledge,
but that readers are the ones who ultimately determine if what we write
is worth writing. I may have a story to tell, but if no one else finds
it interesting, I must either find a way in which to make it
interesting, or I must consider a new story. This is the process and
goal for all writers.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 11