[stylist] Quote to ponder - taken to another level

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Feb 8 14:03:09 UTC 2013

We were discussing how the impact of what is read is influenced by the
reader, themselves (by what they personally bring to the reading-table).
And here is an interesting thought or outcome that is happening to too many
blind people! First as a baseline thought - the sighted student/reader who
uses print to read literature, educational stuff and the like - they are
reading the words themselves, visually scanning, actively processing ---
while during this process, the student is being exposed to important
"reading related/literacy" features/elements such as: format, punctuation,
spelling, and features like tables, graphs, pictures, etc. Also, along the
same line of literacy, of actively reading for oneself --- The blind reader
who has the skill of Braille can get the same basic exposure to content,
plus all the important literacy features as - format, punctuation, spelling
and the other stuff. However, in today's world, at least in this country,
Braille is not being taught as a first-line method of reading for the
non-print reader! And yeah, you all have heard this gripe, this warning
before. There again my point today is a bit different: My thought, question
is --- hey --- picture this- if you could not read print, did not know
Braille and could only hear new information, be it a textbook, or poem or
piece of prose --- you were not getting exposed to formatting, punctuation,
or spelling of anything you heard;
And so I ask does this then essentially take the blind person back to the
preprint era, back to learning via the oral tradition? Yeah --- what are
these teachers thinking? (Another bazaar thought - what do you think these
teachers who are doing this to the blind would do --- if they were to find
that in school their very own sighted children would have print taken away
and their child was restricted to only listening to what was being taught??)