[stylist] Braille

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:29:34 UTC 2013

Jackie,

I don't believe jumbo Braille is accessible as regular Braille. I
actually have found jumbo Braille to be even more tedious than regular
Braille. I can feel the raised dots but have problems distinguishing the
characters.

There are different types of neuropathy, and yes, it can affect anyone.
After the unknown viral infection, pneumonia and uraceptis hit me, which
is what caused my blindness, it also affected other areas of my health.
I since have developed neuropathy, tachycardia (which is an accelerated
heart rate) and my already low blood pressure will suffer episodes of
dangerously low numbers. And I'm only 31.

Like you, I find Braille a unique way in which to explore letters and
words. They say you use your visual part of the brain to learn Braille,
and I definitely visualize the letters and characters in my head. When I
was first learning Braille and computer with JAWS, I would have problems
typing quickly since I kept visualizing Braille as opposed to the actual
letters, and for me, this would trip me up, grin.

Braille is a crucial and vital tool for blind people though, and I know
a few people with severe dyslexia who have experimented with learning
Braille, and it seems to help. It's scary to think people, including
blind people, want and believe Braille is becoming obsolete. I know this
is a huge issue that sparks a lot of debates and contraversy , but also
remember that print, to an extent, is in danger of changing as well. My
mom has been a teacher for 16 years, and she says in public schools they
use computers and other screen devices like tablets in which to teach
instead of good old pencil and paper. Kids are learning to read and
write on computers, and you have to wonder what will be the outcome for
removing tactile sensations from society.

Okay, this has turned into a rant, smile.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 8