[stylist] Braille

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 08:37:05 UTC 2013

Erica,

I didn't mean Braille in-and-of-itself is tedious for all people. Due to
a nerve condition, Braille can be tedious for me as an individual to
read. I do use Braille, and I'm a huge supporter, and if anyone has the
opportunity to learn it, I recommend you jump on that opportunity.

Like anything, we all learn at different paces with different methods.
My husband learned the entire Braille code, contracted and uncontracted,
in two months. He reads it fairly quickly and remembers all the rules
and characters. One of my good friends has been blind her entire life,
and she can not only read more than 300 words a minute in Braille, but
she can read it and speak it out loud very well. Her husband learned
Braille later in life, and he doesn't read as quickly, nor is he
comfortable reading and speaking at the same time. I know the code and
use it, but like I said, due to a nerve condition, it makes reading it
slow for me. Even with short labels, I will struggle with what I'm
reading. But I know the code and can write it at a good clip, but it's
the reading that I have problems with.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 3