[stylist] Braille

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat Feb 9 19:43:46 UTC 2013

Anita,
Your experience speaks to a problem that we discussed last year on one of
the monthly conference calls. It was with a guy who represents an
organization of publishers -- you can probably tell that I'm not good with
remembering names. The point is though that getting college material in
accessible formats is far more difficult than getting them for k - 12. He
explained two things. First, the professors choose the books they will be
using, not the colleges. In k - 12, textbooks are chosen on a district-wide
basis, meaning that any third-grader in that district will have the same
textbooks as any other third-grader in that district. There is much more
uniformity and more copies of any one title are sold. Colleges and
universities are all over the map. Decisions about what books are being used
are also more or less left to the last minute in college, making it harder
to get books recorded or transcribed in time.

The other thing he mentioned is that the publishers have been working on a
master file type that will be used to make books. From that file type, you
can easily make print, large print, e-books or Braille. Whenever that
happens, it will go a long way to meeting the NFB goal of the same books at
the same time and the same price.
Donna