[stylist] Using cane or dog

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 00:59:09 UTC 2013

You re absolutely right.

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Bridgit
Pollpeter
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:41 PM
To: stylist at nfbnet.org
Subject: [stylist] Using cane or dog

I know this can be controversial, but I go through this with my
brother-in-law, who has RP like Ross. The brother refuses to get on board
with any alternative skills, and he won't accept that he's blind.
But then he wants to get angry and upset when people don't understand why he
requires help or does certain things. This is why it's important to use a
cane or service dog; not only does it keep us safe, but it does identify us
to other people. Not that our entire person should be identified by this one
aspect, but it does give us the ability to not have such encounters when out
in the world with people questioning why we need help or something.

My brother-in-law gets so upset when flying that no one understands why he
needs help getting to his terminal. If he would use a cane or dog, it
wouldn't be a problem. Now it may provoke other issues, grin, but at least
people would understand why this guy is asking for help from gate to gate.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy,
we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 8