[stylist] To ponder- exercise and representing blindness

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Feb 12 02:55:47 UTC 2013

Bridgit,
I think that one reason we get this business about representing blind people
is because of how very few of us there really are. Lynda pointed out that
she's the only blind person most of the people in her life have ever known.
I think that's true for many of us. I don't like having that responsibility
thrust upon my shoulders either. It makes me feel like I must be from
another planet.

I think, though, that whether we see ourselves in that role or not, we are
representing blindness to an ignorant and pathetic world. We can't get away
from it; it's just the way things are. Nevertheless, your attitude is the
right one. Just do whatever you want to do for you.

For me, one of the things that gauls me -- and it falls under the heading of
the mantel of responsibility of representing ourselves to the sighted world
-- is the dress code thing. I would be embarrassed to come to a national NFB
convention without a serious shopping trip. I'm not into fashion; unlike
you, I don't like or want to wear make-up. I'm usually in jeans  with
flannel shirts for the cold weather and short-sleeved cotton shirts in the
summer. If I have to go somewhere special -- and we don't seek out places
where people dress up, because they also wear perfume which we're allergic
too -- then I do have a few "nice" things in my closet. I don't feel all
that comfortable in them though.
Donna