[stylist] To ponder- exercise and representing blindness

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Feb 12 03:28:03 UTC 2013

Last summer, I had to go to the hospital for several days to receive IV
antibiotics for a skin infection. I wasn't sick, but the nurses thought I
should call for help to get to the bathroom. I didn't. My husband showed me
how to unplug the IV, drape the cord onto the pole, and where to hold it to
pull it. It should be said that I had a private room, and the bathroom was
about 8 feet from my bed, with no obstacles in the way.

Then, the nurses found out I'd actually been to the bathroom without calling
them. They wanted me to sign a waiver of liability. I asked them why, and
they said it was standard with patients who have conditions that effect
their balance and make them a "fall risk." I asked what kind of conditions.
They didn't want to say blindness, so they said MS, and Parkinson's and a
few other things. I pointed out that I didn't have any of those things and
acted perplexed that they thought I had a condition that made me a fall
risk. Still no mention of the blindness thing.

They insisted I sign it anyway, and I asked them if they had it in an
alternative format such as Braille. They sputtered. They said they'd read it
to me. I explained that I didn't sign legal documents without consulting a
lawyer. I further explained -- just as nicely and matter-of-factly as I
could -- that if they would like me to sign it, and seeing as I need a
lawyer, that they could pay for me to get one.

This caused a great kafuffle in the hospital. The nurse supervisor came in
and said she talked to the nurse who'd been waving the form around, and that
nurse had the impression that she had offended me somehow. As calmly as I
could, I explained that I have had many experiences which I have found
offensive throughout my life, and that I recognized this as one of them, but
I wasn't planning to go into a snit about it. When my husband got there, he
pointed out to her that we are all "fall risks." They couldn't disagree with
this, but it didn't make them very happy.

The night nurse came in and asked me to explain my idea of how I would like
to be treated -- what I would consider to be good care from the staff. I
first explained that I wanted to be kept abreast of whatever info they had
about my health -- if they're taking my blood pressure, I want to know what
it is, for instance. Then, I told her that I wanted people to refrain from
assuming that there were things I couldn't do because of my blindness. I
assured her that if I needed help, I would ask, and that if they were
uncomfortable, they could ask me if I could do something without help and
even ask me to explain how I would do it. The important thing was to not
make assumptions based on their understanding of what blindness means. I
pointed out to them some of the things that blind people are doing, which I
think some of them thought I was making up.

The next morning, my doctor came in, and I asked him if the nurses had told
him what a problem I'd been giving them. He said they had. I patiently told
him my side of the story. I was very proud of myself that I never lost my
temper, raised my voice or used a sarcastic tone (I almost always use a
sarcastic tone, so this was a major accomplishment). Everything seemed to
calm down after that, though I certainly felt the tension especially with
the original nurses who had the problem.

Meanwhile, there were people there who'd had surgery and were suffering from
debilitating conditions. They needed someone to help them, and they were
hassling me about going the the bathroom on my own likeI was a one-year-old.
After I got home, I considered writing a consciousness-raising letter to the
hospital administration, but decided that this was one of those times when
you have to pick your battles. I'd said my piece and had plenty of things
that needed catching up on.

Oh well, I think that qualifies as a rant.
Donna