[stylist] Fe: February Phone Meeting_Poetry and Life

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Thu Feb 14 15:34:51 UTC 2013

Good Morning NFB Writers:

I am excited to be participating in the next phone conference call on Sunday, February 24th!

I would like to explore our thoughts on  our own life experiences and how we can use them in our writing.

I thought it could be fun to think about our own culture and how that guides us in our lives and in our writing experiences.

African American poet, Rita Dove, brings us so many timely issues for us to consider in a video interview. But, what has really been a surprise to me, is the discovery of the parallels between  the issues she discusses with us, as blind writers. I have never realized this before, because I had never had any insight into blind issues until my own sight loss five years ago.

The link below will take you to this video. I hope you can watch it prior to our phone conversation.  It is about 80 minutes long, but I promise you it will be well worth the time to watch it and listen to her ideas on education, race, writing, philosophy, vision, and style.  This video is an  interview with former US Poet Laureate, and Pulitzer Prize winner, Rita Dove. Dove is an African American poet, author of many books of poetry., and Professor of English at Virginia Commonwealth University.

The  video conversation covers a very wide range to topics and they are all topics that we deal with in our own life, and in our writing.

I would love for our list members from a myriad of cultural backgrounds to participate and share experiences as they relate to Rita Dove's comments.  Please listen to this video and make some notes about what has been valuable to you as a writer.  How does Rita Dove view the life of writing? How do you view your own life, as you write?

 Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=enkpWOV50M8&feature=endscreen

Lynda Lambert, BFA, MA, MFA
104 River Road