[stylist] Definition of blindness

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:53:33 UTC 2013

Anita,

Does it matter?

Bridgit
Message: 8
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:21:43 -0500
From: Anita Ogletree <yrstrli at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [stylist] Sending this again: Article
	showingwhatparentsofblind	kids are facing

There are three separate categories for which individuls without
sight are identified: totally blind, legally blind and visually
impaired.  Totally blind--if I understand correctly--are those
who have no light perception.
Visually impaired are those persons who are able to use
magnifying devices to enlarge printed documents, etc.  What
exactly does the term "legally blind" mean?
I was told all of my life that I am totally blind but I have
light perception.  I see objects but no shapes.  Every now and
then I can guess a particular color depending on how the lighting
in a room is.  I am able to tell when people are walking by me
when they are only a couple feet in front of me and I can do that
if I am sitting in a parked car or some other place.  I can see
the shadows of trees, poles, buildings and so on when I look out
of the window of a car.
My question is this: what category would I fit into? My optic
nerve is damaged so the medical terminology is optic atrophyddI
ask this because the so-called "experts" have not been able to
give me an answer.