[stylist] Working in blindness field

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 13:59:41 UTC 2013

It does.  That was correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Julie J.
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 8:08 AM
To: Writer's Division Mailing List
Subject: Re: [stylist] Working in blindness field

Bridget,

Could it be that more of the state board members and generally more really
active members of the NFB are working in the blindness field because
blindness is their passion?It makes sense to me that if promoting
opportunities for blind people was your life's mission that you'd work in
that field and be more active within an organization that supported you.  I
do think all blind people have an interest in achieving true equality for
blind people. However I think for some it is their major life's work, while
for others of us it is something we do when we can around our other main
pursuits. So it makes sense to me that there would be a large number of
people within the NFB that do or want to work in the blindness field.

I've been blind for around 20 years now.  While I do know quite a few blind
people who work in the blindness field, I'd say I know a larger number who
don't.  Perhaps that's because I have never been very involved in leadership
within the NFB.  It does seem that those in leadership positions do work in
the blindness field much more frequently.  Again that makes sense to me due
to their strong interest and commitment to the cause.

Julie