[stylist] Definition of blindness

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Feb 19 02:52:48 UTC 2013

Bridgit,
You hit on the reason we have the terms. It has to do with "services" and is
perpetuated by the professionals -- not that we don't perpetuate it
ourselves. Braille isn't for low vision students. It's better for them to
strain their eyes, get headaches, have no life and fall behind -- at least
they aren't blind. I agree with you that we're all in this together, but I
also think that the labels we've been given by doctors, teachers and rehab
counsellors impact our lives, many times in ways that are similar to what
has happened to others carrying around the same labels.
Donna