[stylist] more on this subject of Working in blindness field

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:47:47 UTC 2013

I wish you had punched her too.

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Donna Hill
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 9:47 PM
To: 'Writer's Division Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [stylist] more on this subject of Working in blindness field

Lynda,
 Yes, there are many marginalized kids and adults in this world, and with
the recession more than before. It is enfuriating when you think of the
"privileged" and how much they take for granted and how they have
insullation against their own short-comings and bad decisions. Good for your
daughter trying to help them.

By the time I got to junior high, they were asking kids to choose either
college prep or commercial as a course of study to pursue starting in the
eighth grade. I chose college prep, but I had an encounter with a fellow 7th
grader that really riled me up. She was the daughter of a Lafayette College
professor. She came to school on the morning we were to make our decisions
final and sought me out. She explained, in what I thought was a rather
haughty manner, that her father was a professor and that she discussed my
situation with him at dinner the night before. She knew I wanted to take
college prep. She said that the entire family had agreed that it would be a
mistake for me to consider going to college; there simply was no way I could
do the work. I wish I had punched her, but alas, I didn't.
Donna