[stylist] More on this subject of working in blindness field

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:34:47 UTC 2013

Back at university, for an elective, I wanted to take a stage make-up
class. The instructor had been my Intro to Theatre prof, and as a final
project, we had to write a scene, then the class voted on which scenes
to produce. Small groups were put together and assigned a scene. I
really wanted to direct my scene, which was one of the scenes chosen. I
had to convince her that I could direct even though I can't see. She was
so sure my *visual impairment* would cause too many problems to
effectively direct anything. I gave her detailed ideas I already had
formulated. She let me direct but I was the only director assigned an
assistant director. I spoke with my assistant explaining the situation,
and all I might need from her was to make sure my actors were in deed
following directions when it came to physical movement and otherwise I
was good. I knew how I wanted the set, what music to use, how the
characters should look, and considering the scene was one I wrote, I
knew how I wanted it performed. My scene was one of the favorites by the
class.

So anyway, when I decided to sign up for her stage make-up class, she
found out I had registered and emailed me stating we needed to talk. I
knew she wouldn't want me in the class, and during our meeting, she
proceeded to tell me how difficult the class would be and why I couldn't
be able to handle. The sighted lady who had never been blind was telling
me why I couldn't do it. I calmly explained how I could and that I
already was pretty good with make-up. She told me that she would have to
judge my work the same as others, and I said I wouldn't expect anything
less. She said I would have no perspective, to which I added that having
had sight before, it gave me a little advantage to understand things
such as creating wrinkles or bruises. I even networked with blind actors
just to get more ideas on how to do things nonvisually. The prof still
wanted me to drop the course.

I took it and was grudgingly given an A, smirk.

Bridgit
Message: 14