[stylist] Definition of blindness and pursuing goals

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 02:57:07 UTC 2013

You misunderstand what some of us are trying to say. No one doubts that
setting goals alone will take you to the top with little to no
complications and set-backs. To go through life without the expectation
of disappointment is wrong. To expect to have everything you want land
in your lap with no work is the completely wrong way to look at things.

You still have to set goals and takes steps to achieve those goals
though. Networking and being in the right place at the right time is
half the situation, but you still have to set goals and work towards
them. You still need to find what steps are required for the outcome you
hope to achieve. Then when in the right place at the right time, you're
ready to go.

You say Justice Sotomayor had special advantages. She did. She received
scholarships because she received straight A's all through her academic
career. She worked hard to achieve this. As I mentioned, she didn't get
a job right out of law school, and during college, she worked several
types of jobs.

And you act as though someone like Justice Sotomayor received special
treatment, but how many blind students are paying for their education?
How many purchase their own technology for school? Do all your
classmates or co-workers have rehab agencies assisting in the job search
or acting as a liaison between client and employers? If blind people
can't, or won't, work, we automatically qualify for government
assistance. Do other people have this luxury? Even other disabilities
don't receive the same level of assistance from the government as blind
people do.

So we can't really act as though we don't get special treatment at times
either.

I certainly haven't gotten this far in life without a few set-backs. I
lost my vision at 22. There was no reason to think I would be blind. I
had to learn to do things in a different way. I had to adjust to doing
things this way. It wasn't always easy. I still went back to school and
graduated, I'm still pursuing my goals though I'm focused on mommyhood
right now, which is another goal of mine that didn't come easy for
various reasons.

No one said setting a goal would make achieving it easy, but if you
don't set a goal at all, your chances of succeeding are slim.

Bridgit
Message: 9