[stylist] shameless self promotion

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Mon Jun 10 18:20:39 UTC 2013

Chris,
I always make it a point of deleting critiques of other people as soon as I
read them in order to make sure I use only my own viewpoint on a piece of
work. The three people who critiqued your work are talented pros, and I am
easily influenced. Then, having a  poor memory, I am forced to voice my own
thoughts.
Here goes. I think this is one terrific piece of writing. The tension it
built kept me hungry for the next little part, and for more information.
I was once advised that when writing a monologue or a soliloquy, using the
sex other than your own would sharpen the writing. You did a superb job of
putting yourself in a female body, and pregnant at that, capturing all of
the emotions and physical actions.
Your details about the setting gave such a sense of recent history of a
horrific past for this family.
I was left with a bit of mystery with the mentions of generations, and the
fifties, trying to figure exactly what the relationship was between this
woman, her mother, and the man who was hanged.
The mother's remark about a white man will never touch her, indicates that
she is a woman who is white but will have a black baby. Is she white because
she is the daughter or granddaughter of the women that was speculated to
have had an involvement with Mr. Washington back in the fifties?
That would seem a generation off perhaps.
I guess there is no reason I must understand this completely, for it will
stick with me the way it is perhaps a little longer. If she was black, and
had a white baby, would it turn off a possible black mate?  And how long is
a generation thought to Be? I would have thought about twenty years, but
perhaps among certain populations it is more like fifteen.
Just meandering thoughts, but I love
It when a story makes me think.
Than again, perhaps I missed or misunderstood one of those wonderful
details!
Jackie