[stylist] Quote to ponder

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 19:32:07 UTC 2013

Donna,

Your final comment, "Teachers, writers and publishing industry
professionals say or write that
you should do the research to find out how things actually do work, if
you're going to use them in a novel. Yet, this practice seems less
important
than it once was," is interesting. To an extent, I agree with you.

I think it depends on the quality of material a writer works on or a
publisher chooses to publish. There are good and bad writers, editors
and publishers out there, and obviously the material will reflect this.

I can tell you that there are people out there still demanding
excellence, quality and accuracy in writing. Having studied both
creative writing and PR writing, I had instructors and met industry
professionals who expected and demanded this.

With creative writing, one must write in a way that feels realistic,
that comes across as accurate in a presentation of information. We are
told that good, three-dimensional characters are necessary for this
along with a good sense of writing to create a plot. If information
based in reality is used, a writer should possess some knowledge of that
information.

PR writing and journalism should demand facts and accuracy. I was taught
to fact check several times and never, never fabricate information or
even suggest it. Quotes from people should be exact and not paraphrased
or made up in any way. How can we trust the information presented if
it's not been edited with accuracy and honesty?

I will tread lightly here, but this is one down side to self-publishing
including bloggers. Some self-published authors are great writers who
understand the need for this level of accuracy. On the flip side of the
coin, there are plenty of people self-publishing because a traditional
publisher will not accept their work, and many of these people have no
thought for quality and accuracy. There are pros and cons to everything.

So like with anything in life, I think we can find the negative and
positive. Unfortunately there are writing professionals who care nothing
for accuracy, honesty and quality, but there are still those out there
who understand how crucial this is to the writing process and practice
it.

Bridgit

Message: 4