[stylist] A Writer's Wormhole: Novelist to Publisher in 3EasyNervous Breakdowns

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon Mar 25 18:51:01 UTC 2013

Chris,
Thanks so much. We had the cover designed by Lizza Studios (Forty Fort, PA),
a nationally aclaimed studio for large art projects which does book covers
as welll. We knew (well, my hubby knew) the owner from when his studio was
near us in Tunkhannock.

Rich took the photos, and Lizza Studios superimposed one on another and
added the print layer and some visual effects. It's not entirely finished,
but down to making a few small improvements -- all of which were my fault. I
downloaded a cover template from Creat Space for the trim size and page
count of my book and that makes it easy for a designer to do because the
spine width, bleed lines and space for the ISBN barcode is already preset.
Of course, that was when I was designing the interior myself. Not ideal to
do it this way, but I told the interior designers at Create Space what I'd
done and how I made it come to that number of pages. There is some wiggle
room, though I suspect they won't be able to start new chapters as low on
the page as they like.

FYI, your post isn't up yet. Create Space refuses to do any more than the
one they did, but I can fill out the form and Rich can hit the submit
button, hopefully today or tomorrow. I have to go change my blurb about it
to include CS's statement -- something to the effect that "it may be fixed
in some future version of the comments form." Don't hold your breath.
Donna.