[stylist] A Writer's Wormhole: Novelist to Publisher in 3EasyNervous Breakdowns

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Mar 25 19:41:39 UTC 2013

Oh, Donna, your experiences give me a headache!
I cannot even imagine doing this - you are amazing.

I was beginning to think of doing a book project that would go in tandem
with a major solo exhibition - in about five years.  The show would be a
retrospective, and I have thought of doing a chronological show catalogue -
photos of my work, with commentaries - over a 40 year period of my work.  I
saw one done by a friend, Fran Schantz, a painter. It was done by BLURB. com
and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this company. I did
visit that site and it looks promising for my purposes.  I loved the book
that my friend produced - a retrospective of his drawings and the art works,
with his writings about them. I loved the size of it most of all - it is 7
inches x 7 inches - such a beautiful size for showing art works - so
personal and the square format is exciting to me - very artsy. I know the
book was written by an art critic, not by my friend.

When my book, Concerti: Psalms for the Pilgrimage was published by Kota'
Press, I just sent them the pages of my poems, and pages of the drawings for
illustrations, and the editor there did all the work - I hold the copyright
to all my writings and art, and he holds the copyright to all the layout and
publishing of the book.
This book was a part of my tenure project for my promotion at the college -
a six year project that involved writing the book;  establishing and
supervision a national traveling art exhibition from coast to coast; and
writing my tenure manuscript - a three part tenure project. It was very
intensive - those 6 years - besides teaching full time, traveling a couple
times a year taking students on trips for work/study; and doing conferences
and publishing other works through my conference presentations and contacts.
Looking back on it, I am delighted to be RETIRED these days.

Lynda