[stylist] Question about color and blindness

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Fri Mar 29 12:37:53 UTC 2013

Donna,
In a way, I think we are talking about Beauty  (with the Capitol B) when we
begin to speak of "color." I think of beauty at the mention of a color - and
periwinkle is sure one of those "beauty" words. Beauty is a state of mind.

One of my colleagues, and a very close friend, wrote a short book on Beauty
a few years ago. I have to go back and have another look at it - because I
am really thinking a lot about the concept of Beauty  and my mind keeps
going back to her book.

Funny, that  I am thinking more and more of "beauty" these days since my
sight is diminished. My early art education at the university was the "make
it ugly" school of thought. The more ugly you could make something, though,
was an enlightening activity. The more you try, the more beautiful it would
become. But it was a new kind of beauty I had never imagined before. (The
last poem Eve posted reminded me of this.)

Let me give you the fashion news:  Stripes and  prints together are still on
trend!  Yes! It is true.
The hottest trend this spring is putting together florals with different
florals, plus stripes and various colored animal prints, etc. Fashion today
is as colorful as it ever was and really fun.  Since every color family
represents a myriad of different hues and values, you do have to know which
ones are compatable and which are not - or else you do look like a blind
woman who has no clue. You are sure right on that one.

But I admit, some days I do put things together and then I laugh and say,
"Well, when someone sees me today, they will just say to themselves, 'she
does not even know how she looks, and that her outfit does not match because
she cannot see it.'"  I get a laugh out of that notion, too.

In my early teens, I was always sifting through the high end fashion mags to
see the  trends and designers, and it continues to be an interest to me. I
still subscribe to Glamour Magazine, but then give them to my granddaughter.

Even though I cannot really see them now, I am still in love with it all. It
is all part of our glorious world. The colors we adorn our body with are
such personal choices. The colors and styles are a very clear reflection of
our inner life.   Each of us is on a "runway" modeling what we think by what
we wear.

My hair dresser works out at the same gym as I.  When he leaves the gym in
the early mornings, he often says,   "I am off to make the world a more
beautiful place." And, we laugh. But we do know, that individually, we do
make the world a more beautiful place, as creative people.

My friend Sonja, has never seen a color, as I had said before. Yet, when I
see her she sometimes is wearing a dress or skirt she has knitted.  When I
compliment her, she immediately tells me what color it is and how much she
loves that color because it matches her complexion, etc. Sonja walks in
Beauty, in my eyes.

Now, I gotta go find that book by Dr. Shirley Kilpatrick, on Beauty! Thanks
for the reminder.
Lynda

 Lynda Lambert
104 River Road