[stylist] After you publish, anyone have promo advice

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed May 1 19:40:41 UTC 2013

Rebekah,
They're different. I know many blind people who think Twitter is easier to
deal with using screen readers. I'm not sure how many of them have tried
Facebook Mobil -- some people seem to think you need a cellphone to use it,
but you don't. It works much better than the standard FB, which is often
cluttered with pop-ups and ads.

They differ in part in how much info you can post. Twitter is 140 characters
(including spaces), and they don't calculate it quite the way Word does, so
I always shoot for something in the mid-thirties. FB allows more than that,
even if you use their post by e-mail option (that's limited by the number of
characters you can put in the subject line in your e-mail program). If you
post online, you can post longer messages. Both allow you to post live
links, and photos, though their file-size limitations differ.

I personally have FB, Twitter and LinkedIn. I've started a profile on Google
Plus as well, but just haven't had the energy for going through the process
of figuring out how best to use it with Jaws. LinkedIn is a network that is
appealing more to the professionals, and there are many writers and editors
using it. It's just another tool to get your name around. One thing I like
about Twitter and Linked In is that you can select a setting in Twitter to
post your Tweets to LinkedIn as well. Linked In also allows you to send
e-mails directly to your connections through their standard e-mail accounts
(Facebook has an onsite messaging system). Linked In allows 50 recipients at
once, while FB allows only 5. That said, I have had some serious
difficulties in recent years getting LinkedIn's address book to work -- it
takes at least 10 seconds to move from one checkbox to another.

My advice is that you Google something like "Social Media as a marketing
tool" and read up on the current thinking about it.
Blessings,
Donna