[stylist] Exclamation points and other stuff now

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Thu May 2 13:36:50 UTC 2013

I also read "Blindness" and was not really impressed.  My problem with the story, coming from a science fiction background, is the total lack of rationality.  People go blind and no one tries to figure out why.  People get their sight back and, again, no one tries to figure out what happened.  It's my whole gripe with magic realism, stuff happens and, like Mary Poppins, they never explain anything.  I suspect this is my cultural bias coming out.

I tried, recently, to read a "best of" collection (short stories from 2010) and couldn't figure out why anyone would think some of these stories were good.  I just didn't get them.  I'm either dumb or the emperor is naked.  But then, I've never been one who finds stories about character dysfunctionallity in conflict with everyday life to be very entertaining.  To each his own.

Anyway, good luck, good reading, and good writing.

Shawn