[stylist] Back to the wizarding world

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon May 13 18:57:22 UTC 2013

I agree with Donna's post, but I will also add that Rowling has admitted
that due to the volume of each novel and the short time frame in which
she wrote most of the books, she certainly made mistakes, and that she
could have better edited most the books. Just for sake of this
discussion, grin.

And to be Devil's Advocate for a minute, it is entirely possible to
over-look things when creating a series as large as Harry Potter. Each
book is hundred's of pages long with plots and sub-plots paralleling and
weaving together. Rowling kept extensive notes and character profiles
even for the most insignificant characters. She says she has piles and
piles of back-story that were never intended to be published but that
she required to write the books. This is a huge under-taking that, for
the sake of argument, can become burdensome and difficult to keep track.
It doesn't necessarily mean inconsistencies are inevitable, but it does
make them probable.

Donna argues a strong case, and I agree to a certain point. Rowling
certainly meant for information to be learned slowly both by characters
and readers. And as Donna points out, it wouldn't be entirely out of
character for Dumbledore to mislead or misinform to protect Harry and
others.

However, you have to look at the work as a whole, each book being a
piece of the puzzle, and upon inspection, I think a case can also be
made that there are inconsistencies. You have to consider how we learn
information and who provides that information. Is it a character? Is it
author interjection? Is that source reliable? And does it add up to how
information is disseminated and dissected throughout each book. Based on
this, I'm not entirely convinced about the cloak theory, but Donna does
present a strong persuasive argument.

As to inconsistencies within Rowling's work, this is a widely accepted
opinion including the author herself, which is something to consider
when discussing the book.

Great discussion because topics like this make us learn to read
carefully, paying attention to those elements that can later help us as
writers.

Bridgit
Message: 1