[stylist] Harry Potter

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat May 18 02:39:46 UTC 2013

Ashley,
Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure the slave thing started in Goblet of
Fire. It is the issue of the house-elves and Hermione's crusade to free
them. The opinions of some of the students -- Ron, for instance -- that
serving humans is what makes them happy mirrors the predominant view that
people had in our country when slavery was legal. Slaves weren't considered
to be quite human, and their God-given role in life was to please their
white masters. It was service with a smile, and then the fact that they were
smiling was used to re enforce the notion that this was their role and their
desire.

When the Civil War started, it wasn't about slavery, but about a tariff that
the government was putting on cotton exports (primarily effecting the
smaller plantation owners, who had fewer slaves). It quickly became about
slavery, however, in large measure due to three slaves who escaped to a
Yankee military outpost Fort Monroe in Virginia. Prior to this, there was
certainly an abolitionist movement which had existed since the founding of
the nation, but the average person was told that slaves were happy and well
cared for. When the run-away slaves got their stories out in northern
newspapers, public opinion shifted. This is actually a fascinating story -
one of those points of history that depended upon a string of unlikely
happenstances. The New York Times ran an article called "The Shrug that
Changed History" by Adam Goodhart, which was in the Summer 2011 edition of
Choice Magazine, which should still be available on BARD. .

Back to slavery in Harry Potter. The first thing was really about Dobby,
whom Harry set free at the end of Chamber of Secrets. But, it wasn't until
Goblet that the students became aware that there had always been a hundred
house-elves working to prepare meals and clean the castle. There's a lot
more to this including the different ways that masters treated their slaves
and how a freed slave can create some disquiet when he is working along side
those who are not free.

Also, the issue of who qualifies as a true wizard says a lot about our
tendency to draw racial and ethnic lines. There are pure bloods, halfbloods,
what purebloods call "mudbloods" (like Hermione who have no wizarding
ancestry) and squibs (people with wizard ancestry who can't do magic like
Mr. Filch. Some groups like the Slitherins hold to these separations and the
social order that places one group over the others. The four houses
represent a division with Ravenclaws being the intellectuals and Griffindors
being the brave. Hufflepuffs, at least in theory, can be said to place a
higher value on equality -- there's a song somewhere in the series in which
Helga Hufflepuff is credited with saying something to the effect that she
takes all kinds and treats them all the same.

You have already seen some of the government thing in the way the Minister
of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, denies that Voldemort has returned, denying that
there is a problem, despite the evidence, is all too common with
governments. Harry will have something very profound to say to the next
Minister of Magic in Half-Blood Prince, but I won't spoil it for you by
trying to quote it in my current state of mental fatigue.

Lucius Malfoy used his power as a member of the Board of Governors of
Hogwarts to get rid of Dumbledore in Chamber of Secrets. He was a Death
Eater who skated and apparently threatened the other board members, and yet
he still walks free. He is rich, and later on you will see him use his
wealth to buy influence. He is the epitome of an entitled rich SOB, IMO, and
his son has similar arrogance.

I will say this, though, there are eventually four Ministers of Magic whom
we meet in the series, and each of them approaches their role in different
and yet typical ways.

Actually, I can't wait till you read more to see what you think.
Donna