[stylist] More info on Kindle for PC with Accessibility plug-in

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon May 20 01:56:12 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am copying below and attaching the file I made about the Kindle for PC
with accessibility plug-in. They tested it with Jaws and NVDA. This includes
the download link, a quick list of my idea of the most necessary commands
and the whole page of shortcuts from the site. It comes with a couple of
free books, and they have a lending program. I like the male voice loads
better than the female voice. I'm not crazy about reading whole books on my
computer, but with a good set of speakers and a comfortable chair, it is OK.
It's not perfect, but it is another option that gives access to some books
that aren't available anywhere else. Also, if you plan to publish your own
book to Kindle, it's not a bad idea to have something you can read it on.

BTW, there is also a Nook for PC, which I downloaded, but it seemed to be
totally inaccessible. I've written to them to see if they have a similar
accessibility plug-in for it.

Donna

***

Kindle for PC with accessibility plug-in

Download free at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000632481

DWH's short list, followed by Shortcut keys from Kindle page

Toggle male/female voice: CTRL Shift  V

Read: control r

Pause/restart from current position: spacebar

forward: right arrow

backward: left arrow

Increase speech rate: shift +

decrease speech rate: shift -

***

Accessibility Shortcuts

You can use keyboard shortcuts listed below to navigate the Kindle for PC
with Accessibility Plugin application.

Action

 Keyboard Shortcut

Start reading (from top of page)

 CTRL R

Pause/Restart reading (from current position)

 Space Bar or F6

Read current sentence from beginning

 CTRL , (comma)

Read Previous sentence

 CTRL Shift  Up Arrow (or Left Arrow)

Skip forward one sentence

 CTRL Shift  Down Arrow (or Right Arrow)

Toggle voice (male/female)

 CTRL Shift  V

Increase speech rate

 Shift  (+)

Decrease speech rate

 Shift  (-)

Announce current location within a book

 CTRL  P

Toggle continuous reading

 CTRL  Shift  C

Read instructions

 CTRL  I

Return to Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin Help

Keyboard Shortcuts - Universal

Action

 Keyboard Shortcut

Exit the Application

 CTRL Q

Sync

 F5

 CTRL F

Help

 F1

Move focus to next visible enabled control

 Tab

Library Shortcuts

Action

 Keyboard Shortcut

Move the focus to the book above the current selection

 Top Arrow

Move the focus to the book to the right of the current selection

 Right Arrow

Move the focus to the book to the left of the current selection

 Left Arrow

Move the focus to the book below the current selection

 Down Arrow

Scroll the list of books up one page (but do not change the current focus)

 Page Up

Scroll the list of books down one page (but do not change the current focus)

 Page Down

Open selected book (go to last page read)

 CTRL O

Sort by Most Recent

 CTRL ALT R

Sort by Title

 CTRL ALT T

Sort by Author

 CTRL ALT U

Reading a Book Shortcuts

Action

 Keyboard Shortcut

 Page Down or Right Arrow

 Page Up or Left Arrow

Back

 Backspace

Increase Font Size

 CTRL +

Decrease Font Size

 CTRL -

Bookmark

 CTRL D

Open Notes and Marks (if closed)

 CTRL B

Close Notes and Marks (if opened)

 CTRL B

Show Document Navigation

 CTRL L

Go to Location/Page

 CTRL G

Close Book

 CTRL W

 CTRL F

Toggle Full-Screen Mode

 F11

Exit Full-Screen Mode

 ESC

Reading a Text Book (PDF) Shortcuts

Action

 Keyboard Shortcut

Zoom In

 CTRL +

Zoom Out

 CTRL -

Fit to Window (Default)

 CTRL 0

Actual Size

 CTRL 1

Fit to Width

 CTRL 2

Back

 Backspace

Show Document Navigation

 CTRL L

Bookmark

 CTRL D

Open Notes and Marks (if closed)

 CTRL B

Close Notes and Marks (if opened)

 CTRL B

Go to Location/Page

 CTRL G

Close Book

 CTRL W

 CTRL F

Toggle Full-Screen Mode

 F11

Exit Full-Screen Mode

 ESC

-- The Heart of Applebutter Hill, a novel on a mission:
DonnaWHill.com

Read Donna's articles on Suite 101:
http://suite101 <http://suite101.com/donna-w-hill> .com/donna-w-hill

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374