[stylist] Vision and Re-Vision

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon May 20 13:15:21 UTC 2013

Thanks so much, Jackie!
There is the notion by non-artists that art is made with only the eyes, and
the vision we get from looking through our eyes. That is really a one
dimensional view, and any working artist knows this is not so. Art is
created with the entire being - using all senses, particularly the
intuition. That is what separates the working professional artist from the
amateur, hobby artsy crafter-type of art person. I am very excited to be
curating and marketing our exhibition-in-the-making. My friend is a painter
and gallery professional, and designer. She will create all the design ideas
for the show - my role is promotion, and writing all the texts for the book
and the gallery walls. And, of course, we both have to be working in our
studio every day from now till March, to have the work ready, too. This
particular museum has worked with me on exhibitions for about 30 years -
there is nothing better than developing long-term relationships with the
people who can make our vision come to life on the walls.

 This is true of our writing, as well. Writers develop long term
relationships with a lot of different people along the way.

One of the projects we are developing for the show is to write poems and
reflections on the art works - using them as imagery and inspiration for the
writing part of the show.  And, our work is all TACTILE and can be explored
by blind visitors, as they read the Braille texts on the walls. This is an
entirely new thing for me - and I have to thank Robert for his suggestions
to me when we had the phone chat in February. Robert urged me to begin to
write about my own sight loss, so this show was developed with his
suggestion in my mind after that phone call. My friend is doing this as
well, both in her writing, and in the paintings she is doing. Her paintings
emerge from the imagery she has of the world, through her eyes that are
affected by Stargadt -

OK, been to the gym, back home and have to get to the studio and begin
working!
Lynda