[stylist] My Favorite MS Word Key Strokes

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Wed Nov 6 18:03:38 UTC 2013

Hi,
My apologies if I'm not responding to list messages. I'm not getting anything from the list here. Here are my favorite MS Word key strokes.

ALT+SHIFT+UpArrow and ALT+SHIFT+DOWNArrow: Swap with line above or line below.In a table, they swap rows. In Outline View, if you have the document collapsed to show only section headings, you can use these to move whole sections up and down.
So, for instance, if you are writing an article that contains heading styles, and you decide to swap a whole section with the one above it, just collapse to that heading level with ALT+SHIFT+1-9, then use the key stroke and you are done. No cutting and missing text and pasting in the wrong place. And when you want to see all text again, use ALT+SHIFT+A. Note, it's only practical to use headings 1 through 6, because that's the lowest level HTML and PDF documents go down to in their outlining capabilities.

SHIFT+F5: Jump to any of four places in your document. This is very helpful especially when you first open a document because it takes you right to the place you were editing when you last opened the document. It remembers several places in your current document. I forget exactly how that part works.

ALT+CTRL+1-3, make the current line heading level 1, 2, or 3. This is great for making sections. It's especially great for accessibility. Doing something like this is much better for accessibility than making a bold line of text.

CTRL+L: make the current line a bulleted list item. Also great for accessibility, if you want to do a real list.

Also remember, in Word, do not hit ENTER twice to make a new paragraph. Only hit it once. When you do that, you are inserting a blank paragraph.

Thanks.

Jim

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark, its diversified business, or affiliates.