[stylist] copywriting your work

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 19 20:41:45 UTC 2013

Vejas,

I'm sure many have posted by now, but it depends on where you post it
online. When posting material on Stylist, it doesn't count as being
published. If your story were to be posted on the Writers' Division
website, it would be considered published.

I was told by a published author once that copyrighting your material
before publishing isn't necessary. Most publications retain rights to
your material upon publishing it only for the duration of the particular
issue it will publish in, meaning the rights revert back to you. If a
publishing house accepts a novel, you would then contract with them,
which is why it's recommended to hire literary agents and/or
entertainment lawyers to ensure you get a good deal with a publishing
contract.

If you create a website and post material on it, or another website
accepts your material, it's also considered being published. In regards
to a personal website, obviously you retain rights, but may not be able
to submit to places wanting only unpublished material. If another's
website, you would want to double check if that person/website has any
guidelines about who retains rights.

But for now, you really don't need to worry about this. Your teacher was
slightly misinformed about this subject, and unless you plan to start
submitting material to publications, this isn't an issue you need worry
about. And even if you were to begin submitting, you do not need to
copyright material. Really the only time you need to copyright is if a
publishing house accepts material, which the publisher would copyright
for you, or if it's written material that's specific to a company. Like
if doing PR and creating logos and mottos and the like. Creative writers
really don't need to worry about this.

Of course, if self-publishing, you would copyright on your own if
necessary.

Bridgit