[stylist] a very short story

Vejas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 01:11:39 UTC 2013

Hi.
First of all, I just wanted to say thank you for all of my
comments about my lost story.  I went back into the archives and
found the attachment.
I have a very short story which I wanted to share.  It's more
intense than my usual writing.  I really tried to do the "show
don't tell", but I wonder if I did too much of it? Any comments
are welcome.  This story is short enough that I can post it at
the bottom of the e-mail.
Vejas
The Flood

Isabella got home from school and raced to her computer.  She was
addicted to Twitter, and being only 12, her parents would not
give her a phone.  She saw that her friend Maria had posted a
funny video (or so she claimed.) Having had a bad day, Isabella
eagerly opened up Maria's post.  Maria had written: "LOL I
laughed so hard that I almost died I mean like come on seriously
doesn't that guy look so stupid and ridiculous?" Isabella
prepared for a good laugh and thought about the last video that
Maria had sent her, which was a group of men and women, dressed
and otherwise, showing off by purposely dancing in a whole
kitchenful of banana peels to energetic music.  Every time they
had been ready to slip, she had laughed harder.  But she was a
link away from something completely different.
Click...  and then she watched the video load and play.  She was
shocked.  The video clip took place in Alabama in the center of
an intense flood.  Houses were falling.  One man came out of his
house looking helpless, a green shirt and a pair of blue jeans in
his hand plus a couple clothes on him.  He swam slowly, not
knowing exactly which direction to go, it seemed.  His spare
shirt and jeans were soaking wet, but it didn't seem to matter to
hm; all he wanted was to keep his clothes.  After a while it
seemed like the man was just going to give up, and he began to
sink more than swim, though he was still lightly treading water.
A couple of seconds later he was still sinking, and his shirt was
pulled out of his hands by the strong water.  Then, more sinking.
There was a small amount of time where it looked like the man was
going to live again.  Isabella saw him treading water violently,
splashing around to get up.  Good for him, she thought.  The man
was finally able to get his mouth out of the water, and he
smiled.  Isabella wondered why someone who had just lost their
house and all but a few articles of clothing, and who had looked
so depressed before, why someone, in the midst of screaming,
yelling and carrying on, would smile.  And then she figured it
out.  She looked closer into the man's smile; he looked calm and
peaceful.  He was going to give up.  She had known he would from
the very beginning when he had not known which direction to go
but hadn't wanted to admit it to herself.  And sure enough, he
began to sink again, slowly, as the flood continued to get worse.
This time he made absolutely no effort to keep swimming.  And
then he was gone and the video stopped abruptly.  Isabella began
to cry.  She vowed she would never again be friends with such a
girl who thought that that man's pain was her pleasure.  That
poor man!