[stylist] Slate & Style seeking literature for holiday issue

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 28 06:27:42 UTC 2013

Slate & Style Seeking Submissions for Holiday Issue

Slate & Style hopes to publish a special holiday issue this year. If
there are enough submissions to consider, we will release an email issue
for the holidays. If interested, read further for details.

We will accept short fiction, poetry and memoir/personal essays. All
submissions must be emailed by November first. Refer to submission
guidelines for length.

Material can be previously published or brand-spanking new. If
submitting previously published material, please note and provide
publication name and year.

Submissions do not have to be about Christmas. They can relate to any
aspect of the holiday season between November and January first, and it
can involve any religious activity, tradition and/or custom celebrated
or practiced around the holiday season. And you don't have to directly
write about a holiday, but simply have your submission take place during
the holiday season.

No subject matter, genre or style is off limits. We will consider all
submissions. Try to not be over-sentimental though. Edgy and gritty are
perfectly acceptable. Sentimentality is not against guidelines, but
neither is darker, edgier material. Be realistic and honest in your
approach. Remember, It's a Wonderful Life wasn't all sunshine and
rainbows and puppy dogs, and A Christmas Story relied on wit and
sarcasm.

Submissions must be emailed by November first. Please submit by
following regular Slate & Style guidelines, which are in each issue of
the magazine and on the Division website. Email me at
bpollpeter at hotmail.com with questions.