[stylist] Journaling Thoughts

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Wed Oct 30 13:54:58 UTC 2013

Hi,
Regarding journaling, and any other form of writing related to free writing, something I've started to do just this week has been very helpful to me. You can do this in many ways, but I did it with a wonderful text editor that I use In my work, called NoteTab Pro. I set a timer for ten minutes, then write as fast as I can for that time period about anything and everything I'm thinking about. I don't stop for typos. I don't edit. I don't stop for misspellings. I don't care if I make run-on sentences with fifty clauses. I just go. If I can't think of anything to write about it, I write that. I try to avoid getting distracted. If I am distracted, I gently pull my mind back on my keyboarding gibberish and say I was distracted and try to write about what distracted me.

After I'm done, I run a little piece of code that scrambles the text and save my document. This morning I checked the text statistics for the stuff I wrote and was pleasantly surprised to see that I whipped out almost 600 words in that ten minute time, and I was distracted at least twice, and my typing was very sluggish at the beginning.

Thanks.

Jim

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark, its diversified business, or affiliates.