[stylist] So Long, Mr. Stevens?

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 22:30:37 UTC 2014

Hi Jackie,

The family members who've read some of my stuff appreciate that it's
advanced somehow,  but just don't get that the reason for the kind of
poetry I'm crrently writing.  I am bipolar, though my disorder, if it IS
a disorder, tends to balance out most of the time.  But I'm afraid that
these family members think I'm just indulging in some sort of melancholy
stuffwhich could make me really sad or something.  But the fact is that
I'm a pretty serene person --even joyful-- and really don't require that
kind of nannyish concern.  It's like you say, I guess:  I'm using poetry
to process some really dark stuff, and the lighter stuff will surface
when I'm done.  I see that indulging in pain is the wrong thing to do
most of the time.  ON the other hand, though, I've dubbed our society
the "Culture of Anesthesia".  There's some really sad ugly goings on in
our lives and in the world, and if we want to be honest, effectual human
beings we need to cop to that, and to our own relationship to it,
healthy or otherwise.  What's the alternative?  Celebrity worship,
illusory relationships with people we don't really know and addictions
of all sorts.  I guess I see myself as one of the guys on the automatic
treadmill crying, "Jane, get me off this crazy thing!" --and trying to
take  with me as many as I can.

--Bill

--
"Let's drink a toast now to who we really are."

           --Jane Siberry