[stylist] Poem - "Archaeology" - First Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 20:14:44 UTC 2014

HI Shawn,

First of all, thanks for giving "Archaeology" a chance;  that's a lot
more than many poets ever get, or even deserve.  I think I can lend a
little editorial help on the poem, if I'm not really keen to do a line
by line explication.

Basically, it's about the passage of time, and how it wears on our
physical environment.  I think it says that old things, even plastic
combs for instance, are lent a kind of grandeur by their submersion in,
and eventual extraction from the time stream. I think the key line of
the second poem in the series indicates that dolls, sham children though
they may be, teach us something about personhood that's a little hard to
explain. They're just a little bit maddening, dolls, for that reason.
And the last section tries, and probably fails, to encapsulate something
as large as a building in terms of history and archaeology.  It says,
among other things, that something so grand as the building described
here is like a living thing --thus the "dog of stone".  "Ship of rains"
to me says something about the simple physical fact of a building's
stone being worn down by the elements.  But it's also a bit
metaphysical, comparing the tower to a much-weathered ship at sea, and
also to some imagined ark of suffering; the latter not being anything
I'd expect a reader to get after the third or even sixth reading.  And
to summarize it all:  I think the poem signifies a certain development
in my work as a poet.  I think that in general there are two kinds of
poets:  some weigh in on the sense side of the scale, while others are
heavily balanced on the sound end.  As for me, I seem to be heading for
a place between these two extremes.  I used to favor Wallace Stevens, as
I think I may have mentioned here before.  Nowadays, I favor poets like
Eliot and Frost, at least in their approach to meaning if not to their
actual works. I used to swear whole litanies on top of Stevens's "The
Emperor of Ice Cream";  nowadays, I find myself irritated by him.  I
mean, he uses words like "fabliaux".  What the fuck is a "fabliaux"?
Anyway, if you have any questions about all of this, I'd be glad to
answer them.  Thanks again, Shawn, for giving "Archaeology" a chance.

--Bill