[stylist] New Poem "Scenic Iowa"

Miss Thea thearamsay at rogers.com
Mon Aug 11 21:13:29 UTC 2014

Hi, Shawn.
I really liked the first part of the poem. You used concrete descriptions,
such as mountains, roaring ocean waves, twinkling city-scapes, to describe
what Iowa is not.
Somewhere in the poem, though, you traded the concrete for the abstract.
I liked the part about the garden and the daylily. That was concrete.
This is something I struggle with myself.
I say things like "contentment fell like a velvet blanket", when what I
should say is "Mother sipped her tea, smiling, while Father read the
newspaper. Susie, sprawled out on the carpet in her pajamas, petted the dog
and laughed at Steve Urkel on TV, who had managed to turn Carl's face purple
again. The scene ended with Steve's famous line, 'Did I do that'? before the
commercial came on.
"He's crazy," said Jonathan, grinning and licking  an ice cream cone over by
the sink, smiling as if he were glimpsing into Heaven.

I would love to see this poem again, the first stanza as it was, but the
second stanza as it would look, feel, taste, sound, etc. Give me Iowa to
touch, see, hear, smell, and then I'll conclude that it "walks through the
soul" and "brings contentment".
Happy writing,
Thea