[stylist] Poem - "NPR" - First Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 16:21:31 UTC 2014

Good Morning, Poets:

Just finished this very, very minor effort.  It's mainly an exercise in
rhyme and enjambment, but I think it has its small charms.I started it
yesterday and  made  it about halfway through, and gave up in disgust.
Today, I approached it and decided I could pummel it into good enough
shape for  it to languish in my poetry folder as an etude of sorts.
Anyway, ta da, if you will.

--Bill

---

NPR

Splendid NPR, I thrill at your trumpets,

annunciate,tenor, blasting bright wind

into morning's begin. With coffee's quick brown,

a myth river's flow from the dark dancing world,

I sip solid and yawning, the sun dawning yellow

into bedroom's womb, sowing a poet

with curious know, both friendly and foreign:

He rises,incisive and wise

as an an agora-gownedGreek.Seek

wisdom in football or financeor twelve string guitar?

NPR is our guide, her broadcasters masterful keen,

with tongues which seem to cleave the troubled air like

merciful surgeons, secure in their skill.Be still,

all you ranters, you can hardlycompete; This stations's a fisher

of factual trout, patient, supreme,

and dreamless as stone, though hardly so dull;

it fills our mug so full of star

we cry that barman's name:O NPR, O NPR,

May better poets keep your name!

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"