[stylist] Onkyo essay for Helen Kobek

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Tue Dec 23 00:35:47 UTC 2014

Helen,
This is one of the best articles I have ever read on Braille, and the
adventure in learning that it brings.
I did not have my first lesson until I was in my late seventies. The
neuropathy in my fingers led the instructor to make an individual lesson
each time in jumbo braille. After two years, I had gotten through extended
Braille, and was absolutely amazed about how much I learned about the
structure of our English language, and all of the prefixes, suffixes, and
the sense it all made.
But after daily effort for those two years, I only got to reading one page
in 12 minutes. Totally unrealistic for reading a book.
But what interested me most about your experience is your breakthrough into
reading a whole word at one crossover. I feel guilty that perhaps I should
have kept at it another year, and transferred to regular size Braille. You
cannot get books in jumbo Braille.
At any rate, I marvel at your knowledge gained from books in all fields,
starting at the age you did. Ten years after my lessons, I am not sure I
remember by wrote what I did learn, and now, I am fortunate to feel the keys
on my computer!
Your ability to write concisely, yet imaginatively, and bring into it that
movie about Helen Keller, made it a very personal piece for me. Wonderful.

Jackie

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz