[stylist] Here's my attempt at being tactiletothefolkswhowanteverything for nothing

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 20:10:47 UTC 2014

Bridgit,
When I lived in the Philadelphia area ('73 - '97), I always chose my
apartment/house based on it being within a reasonable (15 minute) walk to  a
train stop and within walking distance of grocery store, bank and post
office -- which usually meant there were many shopping and restaurant
options within walking distance. I didn't like busses much, and they weren't
terribly reliable, but I found with my school assemblies and other programs
that there were hundreds of venues close enough to a train station that
having someone pick me up on their end was never an issue. I had a lot of
freedom to travel without sighted assistance -- the regional trains linked
up to the airport shuttle and Amtrak, so getting anywhere was possibole
without cabs. The one exception was the recording studios where I recorded
my albums; I found that, even if I could use public transportation to get
there, I was worn out from schlepping my guitar around and couldn't count on
being on time. Since they made you pay for the time you booked even if you
didn't get there, the cabs were a better option. I love the regional rails
though; wish we had them here.
Donna