[stylist] My New Book

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 02:01:33 UTC 2014

Vejas,
It was one of those charming experiences that leaves me rather jaded. Their
author interface, which every author uses to post articles and photos,
became inaccessible. It wasn't totally inaccessible, but enough of it was
that you needed sighted assistance to post anything. Initially, they said it
was because they were on a temporary platform while they were re designing
their site.

They were ever so polite to me, and I thought  they valued me as a writer.
They asked me to check the site and make note of the areas of accessibility
issues, which I did and was heartily thanked for my efforts. They assured me
that accessibility was a high priority for them. When they moved over to the
new site, the problems were worse. They asked me to beta-test the site --
deliberately go through and test it for issues that both readers and writers
might encounter. I did this as well. A year later nothing was any better.

Suite 101 used to be a site with editors that insisted upon certain
journalistic standards in both the level of writing and the content of the
articles. They became a social network for writers with an anything goes
attitude. I haven't checked their site for many months -- certainly not
since my hubby got sick last June. They had stopped using headings when I
was there last, and whatever they did when they moved everyone's articles
over to the new site, they managed to lose most of the photos.

They had an exclusivity policy while I was there, which I was OK with,
because I was getting some revenue sharing. The important thing from this is
that the articles I did for them are not available anywhere else. They
dropped the exclusivity policy, and I occasionally think about posting the
whole lot of them to Go Articles, which is a fairly high rated article
directory. You don't get any compensation, even revenue sharing, from them,
but if you're trying to spread a message or promote yourself, it's great;
other sites use article directories to get free content for their sites.

When I started writing for online magazines, I was posting to Go Articles
and American Chronicle, and some of the articles in my Braille literacy
series got used on a surprisingly large number of sites. Funny thing about
that; the gal I profiled whose article was reprinted more than any other is
Carlton Walker, who is now the president of NOPBC. She was president of the
Pennsylvania chapter at the time.

Anyway, did you ever get my response to your two questions? My e-mail
program was a mess, and I had Robert post it for me.
Donna